Planning a get together for New Year’s Eve? Whether your party is small or large, food is a key part of any celebration. But just because it’s the holidays, that doesn’t mean that your party treats can’t be healthy as well.
There are plenty of options for nutritious hors d’oeuvres that fit right in on New Year’s Eve and go beyond your basic crudites tray with sour cream. Why not try a healthy twist on a party favourite, shrimp cocktail? The dish traditionally has a ton of sugar in the cocktail sauce, but this reworking of the recipe is sugar free thanks to homemade ketchup–not to mention easy to make. As a bonus, shrimp is low calorie, full of protein, and a great source of selenium.
- A cherry pie-flavored dip takes simple fruit kebabs to a new level
- These squash pickles are a fun twist on the traditional
- Polenta wedges topped with tomato tapenade are a fresh take on bruschetta
And if you’re simply attending the party, not throwing one of your own, here are a few tips for picking the best options for finger foods and appetizers:
- Take it easy on the puff pastry–delicious as it is, it’s usually full of butter and therefore high in saturated fat
- Pass on the fried options–breading is a good indication that something was fried, FYI
- Load up on veggies–these are low in calories on their own, and at least you’ll get some nutrients in
- Look for lean protein–it’ll help fill you up (a good idea if you’re drinking, especially)
Happy New Year!